Wooden fences for a private house or cottage can have various designs. The most common types of wood fencing include:
- Solid fences. A deaf fence will serve as reliable protection from uninvited guests, street noise and dust. Such fences are installed in areas located next to a busy highway or railway. Solid wood panels are decorated with openwork inserts or forged metal elements.
- Classic fence. The vertical picket fence is common for garden and summer cottages. The design consists of poles and horizontal guides, on which planks are fixed vertically with a small gap. Such a fence does not create a continuous shadow and does not interfere with the site’s ventilation.
- Network. This is a durable and aesthetic fence consisting of a frame with interlaced rods or lamellae. The direction of weaving can be vertical or horizontal. Most often, strips of flexible hazel are used to manufacture sections.
- Ranch. The fence is a simple structure – the boards are fixed horizontally on vertical supports driven into the ground. Such fences are most often used to mark the boundaries of the site.
- Palisade. The fence consists of stakes tightly fitted to each other and pointed at the top at an angle of 40 degrees. Such a fence provides reliable site protection from intruders and stray animals.
- Lattice. Such fences most often serve as decorative ones. They are used in the garden and suburban areas for zoning the territory, as a support for climbing ornamental plants, grapes, climbing roses.
- Chess. This is a type of vertical fence. The basis of the structure is made up of pillars with horizontal lags. The slats are attached to the lags from the front and back sides in a checkerboard pattern with a gap. The checkerboard fence has an original appearance and has low windage.
- Herringbone or ladder. Such a fence consists of supports, the spans between which are filled with wooden planks. They are located horizontally and at a slight angle relative to each other. A horizontal wooden fence looks beautiful and neat, closes the private area from prying eyes and does not interfere with the free movement of air.
- Slab fence. This is the board’s name, in which one side is processed at the sawmill, and the second, semicircular, is covered with bark. Installing a vertical or horizontal fence made of boards is a way to enclose an area and, in addition, get an interesting addition to a log cabin or a cottage made of timber.
To build a classic picket fence on metal poles, you will need:
A profile pipe with a square section of 50x50x2.5 mm or 60x60x3 mm supports. Metal supports will last much longer than wooden ones.
To fasten the horizontal logs, you will need to purchase a steel corner. You need to weld two corners on each side for each support – top and bottom. You can do without a welding machine. Logs are fixed on X-brackets, mounting plates, steel or aluminium corners, mounted on supports with screws.
You will need a professional pipe 40x20x2 mm or a bar 50×30 mm for the log.
To fill the sections, strips with a width of 80 to 130 mm are used—the most running fence with 100 mm.
To fix the corner or mounting plate, the log and the picket fence itself, you will need hardware – screws, self-tapping screws or nails.
For concreting supports, sand, cement, small gravel are needed.…