Companies whose employees carry out project activities need to be managed – and preferably efficiently. If projects do not require large financial investments and active teamwork, then management can be fragmented and haphazard, which is bad for business. Practice shows that companies usually implement several projects at the same time. And, as a rule, the same people are involved in this. Automation of project management will greatly facilitate the work of employees and increase the efficiency of activities.
More and more often, a virtual environment is used for project management. This is due to the need to increase the human potential for solving unique problems. The hour is not far off when Russia will begin to experience a shortage of responsible resources; in other words, there will be a need for highly qualified specialists capable of solving the project’s tasks. This will lead to the fact that the project teams will need to be put into virtual mode. This trend cannot be hindered by any restrictions (neither linguistic nor cultural).
Goals and objectives of automation of project management of the company
The system pursues rather “high” goals:
- Increase in the efficiency of employees carrying out project activities.
- Improving the quality of the work of managers in project management.
- Increase in the efficiency of project management of the company in progress (adherence to the budget, reduce costs and deliver more projects on time).
Achieving these goals is impossible without the availability of certain tools. Without going into the details of the description of the functionality, we can say that the automation of project management should solve the following tasks:
- Developing a plan. Risks are taken into account, a work schedule is drawn up based on available resources and limitations, control points are set, and financial and economic calculations are carried out. When changing indicators, it is possible to quickly adjust the plan. In other words, you can analyze the possible scenarios for the development of events.
- Document flow and storage of documents. The main thing is to choose a program that will not complicate but will facilitate project management.
- Communication and information. The creation of a single information space is the main task of automation. The quality of project management depends on the promptness of the exchange of corporate information. Moreover, this applies not only to internal but external communication (suppliers and customers).
- Exercise control. Automation of project management allows you to comprehensively control the work: the head – subordinates, managers – the state of processes, the director – the stages of project implementation.
- The efficiency of management decisions. The ability to quickly obtain the necessary data and possess information about the current state of affairs can speed up the decision-making process.
In summary, project management automation in an organization produces the following results:
- Project implementation is accelerated.
- The efficiency of project management is increased.
- The use of the organization’s resources is optimized.
- The communicative connection between the participants in the project activity is improved.
- The efficiency of managing not only employees but also their workload increases.
Most of the modern programs that automate project management are easily integrated with other systems and make teamwork more coherent. For example, if you use an automated system, the function of sending emails is standardized, remote work is possible (via a browser or a mobile application), and the preparation of customized reports.
Thanks to management automation, it becomes possible to structure risks at least a little, although this process is practically not amenable to optimization. The system is able to warn of risk, for example, in financial matters or disruption of supplies.